ccess="never Birth of a Soldier: When News Happens...

Friday, June 23, 2006

When News Happens...

I report it...eventually!

Amazingly, Chris is less than two weeks from graduation. (I say, "amazingly" because my boy has faced more than his share of obstacles in the last few weeks.)

First there was the pink-eyes setback. Not pleasant, but quickly and easily curable. As I predicted, once Chris could actually see clearly again, his rifle-marksmanship improved. (There was something he said about some problem with his rifle, but I had no idea what he was talking about, and couldn't find anything on Google remotely close to what I think he said.) Apparently, everything fell into place, because he qualified. My son is now a Marksman.


Things are looking up...until Chris calls home on a Tuesday afternoon. This can't be good... He's in the emergency room. Dear Lord...He sprained his ankle. Whew! A sprain? Well, could've been worse...

Chris' only concern was having his graduation date delayed. He is absolutely determined to graduate on-time, with his platoon. I told him to try to take it easy on the ankle when he's given the chance. He told me he would, but he wasn't going to let this hold him back. (This is a new development in Chris' character: in the past, when faced with a set-back, Chris would throw in the towel. Now he's talking about doing whatever it takes. Quitting- even slowing down- isn't an option.) I am impressed.

Then, Friday June 9th came, and everything ground to a halt. The unexpected passing of his grandfather seemed to break the resolve that had kept Chris moving forward through his potential setbacks. He wanted to come home for the funeral. Nothing else mattered.

(If you haven't read about the extraordinary measures the Army took to help Chris get home without jeopardizing his graduation status, you can read about it HERE.)

I have to say, although the circumstances were heartbreaking, it was a wonderful experience having my son home for a few days. While waiting for his flight to arrive, I really didn't know what to expect. Naturally, he was one of the last people off the plane...

And he looked bigger! He hasn't been gone all that long, but I swear- he looked bigger! Maybe, it was the uniform. Maybe, it was the way he carried himself. Maybe, he's put on a couple of pounds (muscle, of course- he's always been blessed with a slim physique.) Whatever it was, I marvelled at his transformation as I hugged him through my tears.

I think Chris may have been surprised at the grateful remarks he received from perfect strangers. I am positive he understood his worth as an American Soldier by the time he returned to FLW. During his brief stay I noticed some remarkable changes. First of all, he speaks louder and clearer. (This is a good thing, because he always used to sound like he was talking with a mouthful of marbles.) Second, he is polite- to everyone. He said "yes sir" or "no ma'am" to cashiers in stores. Third, he's more generous. (Yes, it wasn't too long ago, when he wanted everything in the world, and not only that- he felt entitled to it. And if he couldn't have it, that was the end of the world.) Now, he's offering to help me get things.

All of this, and he's still in basic training. Color me impressed!


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivs 2.5 License.