ccess="never Birth of a Soldier: Bump in the Road

Sunday, June 11, 2006

Bump in the Road

   
M-16 Rifle
    Basic Rifle Markmanship (BRM) is proving more difficult than Chris expected.  It doesn't help that his pink-eye spread to both eyes!  Although it's clearing up, he's still having trouble with his M-16.  He's really not used to having trouble doing something. To be honest, I can't think of a single thing he has ever set out to do, that he hasn't been able to do well, and with ease. (Of course that doesn't mean that he actually applies himself when the situation calls for it- i.e. his last five years of school...)
    I don't know anything about firearms, so this is a situation where I can offer encouragement, but not advice. So, I just reminded him that he can certainly do anything he sets his mind to, and not to get too discouraged (he's only been at it a week- with a visual handicap at that,) because all he needs is practice.
    In my opinion, if there is a single skill a soldier must master above anything else, it's how to fire their weapon accurately and with confidence. I know Chris can do this, and I know the thought of repeating this course of training is terribly disheartening to him, but for his safety and the safety of his comrades and innocent civilians, I hope he will come to understand just how important this phase of training truly is.


powered by performancing firefox

1 Comments:

Blogger Tanis said...

Tell him to hang in there, it gets easier with time. When I first got my M4 for SWAT I hated it, but with time it's getting to be an easier weapon to use, I still like my sidearm best, but hey I can't use it all the time. Best of luck to him......

5:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivs 2.5 License.