ccess="never Birth of a Soldier: Caffeine and Tears

Sunday, September 24, 2006

Caffeine and Tears


We're off and running this morning...Chris is making sure he hasn't forgotten to pack anything. I'm making sure I have plenty of coffee on hand. We leave for the airport in 30 minutes, and I'm trying not to cry. It's easier than it was when he left for basic training. But it's still not easy. I can't believe my son will spend the next couple of years waaaay up in Kentucky. He's never experienced a winter outside of Texas or Louisiana. He HATES cold weather...should be interesting at least!

Today is my Rolling Victory Fast day- so far, so good. Of course, I've only been awake for about 45 minutes. I'll give another update when I get back from the airport.

Victory Fast Update, 11:45am: 2 cups coffee; not even remotely hungry.

Chris departure: Solemn and uneventful. (Short-term parking was full, so we had to hike waaaay too far, carrying ridiculously heavy bags-you wouldn't believe the size and weight of Chris' big duffle bag, I'm pretty sure it is almost as tall as I am, and probably weighs about as much...of course he just slung it onto his back like it was nothing!) After saying good-bye, I cried in the ladies' room, back through the parking lot and MOST of the way home. You see, it WAS a little better than the first good-bye...I didn't cry ALL the way home this time!

2 Comments:

Blogger MasterGunner said...

Chris will have a hell of a time with the 101st. It's a great unit, and has a lot of history behind it.

7:14 AM  
Blogger Some Soldier's Mom said...

it's ok, mom. we cry when they come home, we cry when they leave, when they call and when they don't... whenever my boys do the "mom-is crying-again-rolling-my-eyes" thing, I just remind them that it's liquid love -- right from the heart to the eyes!

He'll be fine. You hang tough!

2:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivs 2.5 License.