ccess="never Birth of a Soldier: The 17 Year Old Soldier

Friday, August 11, 2006

The 17 Year Old Soldier

An actual update? Well, yes and no.

Pvt. Wise is officially in AIT. He is studying to be a construction equipment repairer. So, how's he doing??? That's tough to answer. He's finally aware that there is a world outside of his own. And it's a big, dangerous, hateful world. And unlike the gratuitous violence of his video games, or the glorified violence of his favorite rap tunes- the violence of war is real...and it's ugly. And he is an American Soldier serving during a time of war.

He's also realizing that being a teenager in school really wasn't that bad. Maybe he should have spent less time on the phone, and more time studying...maybe lying around the house, bored out of his mind, wasn't such a bad place to be? Maybe that teacher that was always on his case, wasn't so difficult after all? These things he'd never admit, but I imagine they've crossed his mind. In short, he's homesick, and he's scared...but I imagine he's not alone over there.


1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Came across your blog. I was born and raised in southern Indiana about 30 minutes west of Louisville Kentucky. Grew up on a small farm working with my Father and Grandfather. After that I did seven and a half years in the Army myself. I see your son is headed to Ft Knox; this is where I currently work but as a civi this time. Winters here are not bad when compared to other parts of the world I've been in, but plenty cold I'm sure when compared to where you live. While I understand that you will miss your son and worry about him, believe me when I say he will be fine here at Knox. He'll make friends with his fellow soldiers and have new experiences. In the end he will be a better person for it all. Hang in there and keep in contact with him as family is the most important thing in a new soldiers life.

Bill

8:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivs 2.5 License.