ccess="never Birth of a Soldier: First Letter!

Monday, May 08, 2006

First Letter!

It's easy to forget how wonderful it makes you feel to find a real letter, with a real stamp, waiting for you inside your real mailbox...today, I received a joyful reminder: Letter #1 from my son, the soldier.

I must say, I was not prepared for what I read. Although, I certainly wasn't surprised.

I expected that first letter to be oozing with the trials and tribulations of life in basic training. I expected "I hate it here," "I don't know if I can make it," "I want to come home," "I am in Hell," with a generous sprinkling of "I miss you, Mom," "I love you, Mom," "I never realized what a wonderful life I had with you, Mom"-(okay, I never actually expected to get that from him, but one can dream...)

What I got, was pure Chris:

"When you get a chance, call Sgt. Thompson and ask her what's going on." That is the beginning of the letter- not, "Dear Mom, How are you?" Not even "Mom!"
"I'm starting to wish I never did this yet I wish I would have waited oh but I do get to have my phone after basic training so bring that one I got from my friend, change the sim cards, buy a charger, and plz plz don't forget to bring it." (This is verbatim, no punctuation or spelling have been altered.)

The rest of the letter consists of instructions to his grandma regarding his car-audio installation, an inquiry about what friends have called for him, another request to contact his recruiter regarding his chances of getting some leave after AIT, a reminder for me to send him a friend's address (of course, he is still in a "reception thing" so he doesn't have the address I should send the address to.) He goes on to ask about his sister, "I miss that little girl!" Says to tell the family "he's alright, thanks for the support, and I love you guys-Bye!!" He concludes with "Don't forget to talk to Sgt. T about my leave and tell me so I can have a clue! I love you, Mom. BYE!"

He never signs his name, but there's no question- that's my son. I guess I should give his recruiter a call...gotta get that boy a clue!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivs 2.5 License.