ccess="never Birth of a Soldier: "Oh, and Happy Mother's Day!"

Monday, May 15, 2006

"Oh, and Happy Mother's Day!"

I haven't written much lately because- well, nothing much has been going on. Tear-bucket days are behind me...Chris' first phone call and letter worked wonders for my spirit. Now, I feel just the sporatic twinge of sadness (my boy is gone, but he's doing okay.)

Chris really came through on Mother's Day weekend: I got a letter and a call! This second letter was pretty much filled with the same stuff as his first- except for the much-anticipated mailing address- finally, a way for me to communicate with my boy! I already had some cards and letters ready to go, so he should have alot to read later this week.

But Mother's Day was simply golden! I didn't want to get my hopes up that he would be able to call- although, my hopes tend to do what they want to do... And while I was trying to keep my hopes in check, there was that nagging worry: What if he calls when I'm out making the Mother's Day visitation rounds? But, my Karma account must be in pretty good standing, because Steve & I were running about 30 minutes late for Mom's get-together- so I was home when he called!!! We got to talk for about 10 whole minutes on Mother's Day- talk about the perfect gift!

Chris Info Update: It's not that hard. The physical training regimen seems easier than the one he went through a couple of years ago in Alexandria. He's still bored. He can disassemble his rifle, clean it, and reassemble it. Next week, he will learn to fire it. That concludes the military update.

The rest of the conversation centered around getting his cellphones by the time he goes to AIT, additional instructions regarding his car, and did I talk to Sgt. T ? (Yes, I did. He will get to come home for a little while after AIT because he signed up for "hometown recruiting"- he'll accompany Sgt. T to some of the local high schools to speak to the students about the Army.) Whew- that was a relief!

He asked me to tell everyone he misses them and loves them. He's doing fine. Please write if you can.

Somewhere, about halfway through our conversation, he remembered to say "Oh, and Happy Mother's Day, Mom!"

Absolutely priceless.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

what a gift indeed!

12:09 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Super color scheme, I like it! Keep up the good work. Thanks for sharing this wonderful site with us.
»

5:06 PM  
Blogger Melissa said...

Color scheme: I prefer simplicity.

Thank YOU for the support!

Melissa

1:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivs 2.5 License.